Monday, November 15, 2010

Further reflection of FO2010

Wordle: Learning manifesto

Did you learn new and useful things?
This is a tricky question because I have developed so much that it is hard to remember how much I didn't know before this course.
I learned so much about tools (Twitter, Elluminate, WizIQ, Google docs, Google reader and many more)techniques (blogging, commenting on blogs, tweeting and adding links, communication online) and human beings. No matter whether you are learning online or face to face , learning is still sharing information between people.
I learned how to make mistakes successfully, this is how I learned so much about using tools, I might even say that I enjoy making mistakes now (confessions of a control freak) .

Was it challenging enough?
The course was most certainly challenging but not overwhelming. Each week I looked forward to the readings and references and certainly to the live sessions (usually in Elluminate).

What could have been better?
The course was very OPEN and allowed each participant to interact to their chosen level, allowing them to take value as was appropriate to them. I do not have any recomendations for making the course better as I achieved far more than I was expecting.

What could you have done better.
I could have been more consistent in following blogs from other participants (sorting out Google Reader earlier in the course) and engaging personally with them by commenting.

Did the course facilitator do a good job?
AMAZING, Sarah is a great facilitator who showed us her human side and learned along with us. Her questioning allowed us to consider our perspectives, choices and opinions (opened my mind). Always supportive and consistent in her approach to providing feedback Sarah is an amazing mentor. I'm sorry Sarah but the 1% rule doesn't apply to you for a reason, you are obviously doing something right.

How will you apply what you have learned?
I have so much more to learn and am developing an online 'style' that I can call my own.

Who would you recommend to do this course next time?
When I return to work and am in a training/learning environment I think I will find other like-minded individuals who would certainly benefit from this course.

Key moments for me ...
Nancy White
explaining the difference between and communities and networks in mid-August.

Listening to Stephen Downes talking about connectivism in late July and being confident that the learning will come to you when you are ready for it, so you don't need to absorb everything that comes your way immediately. You can stick it in Delicious for a rainy day. See my blogpost on Kim's thinking.

Listening to Wayne Mackintosh talk passionately about WikiEducator and OER in the Elluminate chat 10th Sept.

Working with Nellie Deutsch on WizIQ 12th October - I learned so much about being a facilitator by 'doing it' and making mistakes and the value of evaluation and reflection.

Twitter conversation/meeting 16th Sep where I was given advice from a previous participant [twitter id=bacigalupe] in Facilitating Online course - "Engage personally, contribute meaningfully, pay attention, listen a lot and be consistent". These words just clicked with me and showed me how simple it is to be a good online learner/identity.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your reflection and for your kind words, Kim. I would like to reiterate the two things you say here...that learning will come your way when you are ready for it...and the advice from the former FO2009 student...really useful advice.

    I wish you all the best...keep in touch and let me know what the next stage on your learning journey is :)

    ReplyDelete